Photo Credit - Saussy Burbank
Part of the fun of owning a new construction home is creating a perfect reflection of your vision, whether that embodies au currant designer trends or timeless classics. The style experts at Zillow have compiled a list of styles trending this year, and trends from last year that are on the way out the door. Your new construction home should ultimately be a reflection of you, your style and the way you live. However, if you’re thinking about selling your home this year it might benefit you to keep these in mind when preparing your home for listing and showing
Here are five trends you should expect to see in 2018
- Floral Prints. Anticipate big, bold floral prints with unexpected color contrasts. You’re likely to see these prints on large fabric areas like drapes or chairs or perhaps on smaller accent pieces such as a throw pillow.
- Statement floors. Is that a new term to you? Think along the line of a statement wall (the one that is a bold contrast to the remaining three) except, as the name implies, on the floor. These floors will range from geometric tiles to herringbone-style hardwoods. These floors are likely to be particularly prevalent in small spaces such as bathrooms, mudrooms or laundry areas. Statement floors provide a way to add some pizzazz to a small space without taking up any room with decorator items.
- Light wood cabinets. Envision a simple aesthetic when it comes to cabinets… flat fronts, clean lines and light wood finishes. This warm, natural scheme creates an inviting feeling that you’ll see homeowners favoring this year.
- Neutral, warm color schemes. Like the warm cabinet concepts, warm colors will likely dominate walls and artwork ranging from red and browns to beige.
- Matte metal hardware. Pair your natural light wood cabinets with matte metal hardware and you’re sure to have a winning combination! Shiny silver and gold-accented hardware have had their heyday and now matte metal will take center stage as it also tends to add warmth to a kitchen.
What should you expect to see on the outs in 2017?
- All-white kitchens. While seemingly a classic choice that has been popular for years, kitchen trends this year will favor more pops of color. Interestingly, Zillow data shows that homes with a blue kitchen will sell for $1,800 more than a similar home with a white kitchen. A big perk of the colored kitchen is that they are easier to keep clean!
- Bar carts. While this piece can photograph wonderfully it often offers minimal everyday use for most homeowners, tending instead to collect dust. An anticipated shift towards “coffee carts” could render this piece of furniture a more functional purpose!
- Succulents. While these can be a low-maintenance plant choice for around the house this year’s trend will incorporate more varieties than exclusively succulents. Zillow suggests a palm or fiddle-leaf fig as other good options.
Thank you for reading and sharing our articles from The Greater Charleston New Homes Guide. Our business is to know Charleston, SC's new home construction, home builders, neighborhoods and homes so we may assist you as you take your new construction home journey. Our online resources are a complement to our magazine which is distributed FREE throughout the Lowcountry. Please take the time to explore our library of helpful tips, guides and insights. The Greater Charleston New Homes Guide is considered the most comprehensive and reliable resource to new home construction, builders, neighborhoods and homes throughout the Lowcountry.
Tagged as: Housing Trends
Categories: The Guide