Like dating, the process of trying to find the perfect new home can be a perilous journey of ups & downs before you discover the “one”; the new home that offers the perfect combination of attributes…location, price & the interior features you’ve been searching for. Realtor.com shares a helpful list of “dating” advice that can easily be applied to help make your home search less dramatic and more successful.
1. Trust - believe that your dream home is out there and that it is attainable. Talk with your Realtor® to identify what your priorities in a home are. Similar to a relationship, identifying your priorities will help you know what you’re looking for (and what to avoid). Once you have a list of important “must haves” be sure to include those in your search criteria.
2. Don't Settle - like a serious relationship, buying a home is an important commitment, don’t make the mistake of settling for the first “alright” one you find. Try to be patient with the process and recognize that looking at homes and features you don’t like is one of the best ways to learn to recognize what you do like! Plan on looking at a minimum of 10-12 homes and know that your Realtor® should expect this, it’s an important part of their job.
3. Look online - help improve the odds of the home-buying process by researching online before you hit the streets. The Guide’s website is perfect for finding you just the right “match.” Make a connection online and get the preliminary information you need before visiting communities, this allows you to efficiently check out a broad range of options. Learn about the builders, their neighborhoods (be sure to check out amenities!), and all about the style, size and price of the homes that they have to offer.
4. Love at first sight - it does exist, both with romantic partners and new homes. Reportedly 77% of home buyers know right off the bat that they’ve found “the one.” Trust your instinct with first impressions.
5. Learn from your mistakes - having a regret or two is common, don’t let buyer’s remorse ruin your home buying experience. Relationships have ups & downs and this will most likely be the case for you and your new home; neither are 100% perfect. As Realtor.com aptly states, “if you really work at understanding what you want and what you need, and taking the time to assess a variety of options, you’re like to find a pretty good fit. Maybe even one that will improve with time.”
As the old adage states, don’t rush into anything. Discuss your needs with your Realtor® and do your research, both online and by visiting communities. Use The Great Charleston New Home Guide’s online search functionality or request a free six-month subscription
. Know that we’re only a click away to help you through your new home search!
Thank you for reading and sharing our articles from The Greater Charleston New Homes Guide. Our business is to know Charleston, SC's new home construction, home builders, neighborhoods and homes so we may assist you as you take your new construction home journey. Our online resources are a complement to our magazine which is distributed FREE throughout the Lowcountry. Please take the time to explore our library of helpful tips, guides and insights. The Greater Charleston New Homes Guide is considered the most comprehensive and reliable resource to new home construction, builders, neighborhoods and homes throughout the Lowcountry.
Tagged as: Home Buying Info
Categories: The Guide