As the construction of Volvo Car USA’s first North American manufacturing plant nears completion in Ridgeville SC for an expected start-up in 2018, the auto manufacturer announced another major investment in the region: Their XC90 SUV will be built on a second assembly line at the automaker's facility near Ridgeville.
According to Forbes, “Even before producing a single car in South Carolina, Volvo said ... it will double its U.S. investment to $1.1 billion, adding a second production line for the next-generation XC90 with 1,900 additional jobs by 2021.”
This brings the total expected jobs to exceed 5,000 when all elements are up and running. Which might leave you wondering, “Where will all these new people live?” However, Charleston area homebuilders are already building neighborhoods and homes for these new residents.
Hundreds of new homes await buyers working at Volvo
If you are relocating to the Charleston area and will be working for Volvo you’ll probably want to check out new home communities located in Ridgeville and Summerville. If you are unfamiliar with the area you can and will undoubtedly get confused since the towns of Ridgeville and Summerville are in more than one county. Yes, that is right. Ridgeville is in both Berkeley and Dorchester Counties whereas Summerville is in three counties: Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester.
For now, Summerville has a wider selection of new home communities and available homes closest to Volvo however you can expect growth to fill in the distance around the factory in the not too distant future. Homebuilders and land developers are working fast and hard to provide quality new home communities and homes for Volvo’s workforce and incoming supporting vendors.
10 closest new home communities to Volvo Car USA’s new Ridgeville factory
- Carolina Bay 9.2 miles – Ridgeville (Dorchester Co.) - Brand new community by Eastwood Homes
- Pine Forest Country Club – 13.9 (Dorchester Co.) – DR Horton
- Reminisce – 13.9 miles – Summerville (Dorchester Co.) – CalAtlantic Homes
- Myers Mill – 16.1 miles – (Dorchester Co.) – this community is almost sold out – Eastwood Homes
- Shepard Park 16.6 miles (Dorchester Co.) – H&H Homes
- Pines of Gahagan 17.2 miles (Charleston Co.) – H&H Homes – this is a 55+ community
- Fieldview 17.4 miles (Dorchester Co.) – this community is almost sold out – Eastwood Homes
- Nexton 17.6 miles (Berkeley Co.) – This is a master planned community with multiple homes builders: Del Webb, Pulte Homes, Saussy Burbank and TrueHomes
- South Pointe Estates 17.6 miles (Berkeley Co.) - Brand New Community by Dan Ryan Builders
- Limehouse Village 17.9 miles (Dorchester Co.) – Ashton Woods
Complete list of area new home communities and available homes.
Thank you for reading and sharing our articles from The Greater Charleston New Homes Guide. Our business is to know Charleston, SC's new home construction, home builders, neighborhoods and homes so we may assist you as you take your new construction home journey. Our online resources are a complement to our quarterly magazine which is distributed FREE throughout the Lowcountry. Please take the time to explore our library of helpful tips, guides and insights. The Greater Charleston New Homes Guide is considered the most comprehensive and reliable resource to new home construction, builders, neighborhoods and homes throughout the Lowcountry.